Monday, December 22, 2008

Oh dear, have I inadvertently caused a kerfuffle?

Well, my piece in the Globe, Ethanol: An Imminent Threat to Humanity, is certainly starting to generate some interest! Over a hundred emails so far... 95% favourable, 5% venomous.

First off, I would like to state unequivocally that I have absolutely no vested interest in the ethanol issue. I do not work for an oil company, I am not affiliated with any organization, I do not do any paid work, and I am financing this campaign by myself, through my savings. And at considerable cost to me. Because I believe in what I'm doing.

The reason I believe in it so strongly is that in 2008, the best of agricultural years, the planet used grains faster than it could produce them. We barely kept up with demand, and that demand is set to grow as the pace of ethanol production quickly picks up speed thanks to government policy. Unless we do something now, we better prepare for a food crisis that will make the credit crisis look like a walk in the park.

Also, I had one comment asking me to differentiate between grain-based ethanol and the sugarcane ethanol that Brazil produces and that is a large, mature industry that apparently does not compete with the food supply. Brazil. I wish I knew what to do about Brazil. That large and proud multi-racial democracy that is succeeding in pulling itself up by its bootstraps. That beacon of hope for the developing world, and not just. Agricultural heavyweight and guardian of the earth's Amazonian lungs. I am not an expert in the pros and cons of sugarcane ethanol, but I have nagging concerns about deforestation, land use pressures, and yes, impacts on global food supply that could result if Brazil's sugarcane ethanol industry was to become the next big thing. I need help with Brazil.

Finally but very importantly, I have created a Facebook group, Stop Ethanol and Save the Planet. Please join and help me get a grassroots movement going. Let's show our leaders the strength of our numbers.

No comments: