Friday, December 12, 2008

Those darned Greeks

It's been a while since I last posted and lots has happened so I'll get right to it.

First, I finally heard back from the RCMP, and there is nothing in the Toronto RCMP files pertaining to the September 12th incident I described to them.

The RCMP did not indicate whether there is anything else about me in their files, or whether the information I was after might be held elsewhere. For example, the photographer could have been associated with another organization such as CSIS, or he could have been a private investigator for the ethanol lobby. Or his presence may have been complete coincidence unrelated to me or my advocating activities. I may never know, because in Canada your government does not have to answer your questions, CSIS is under no obligation to tell you if and on what grounds it has a file on you, and nothing prevents lobbyists from hiring private investigators to spy on you.

On the other hand, surveillance or not, I figure I can say and do pretty much anything I want without fear of consequences for the simple fact that no-one in power will risk doing anything that brings me publicity. And after all, what I am trying to do is moral and right. I'm not a slimy pigdog like Stephen Harper and I have nothing to hide or fear, like he does.

Which is too bad because publicity is exactly what I want.

The other major thing in my life over the last five weeks is that I went to Greece on a family emergency, and my return coincided with the well-publicized riots taking place in my country of birth. That made for an uncomfortable re-entry into Canada. I'll explain the details by way of reprinting the content of an email that I sent to my lawyer Andrew when I got back. I find it pleasingly impertinent and I think you may too.

Hi Andrew,

I got back to Toronto last night. Here are a few thoughts upon my return and in advance of speaking to you live....

On re-entering Canada, I was given the third degree by Customs and Immigration: Why did I go to Greece? What did I do in Athens? Where do I work? Why don't I work? How do I support myself? Why do I have so much in savings? Where do my savings come from? Where did I used to work? Why did I leave my job? Who do I live with? What was I doing in Athens, again... ?

For the record, here is what I was doing in Athens: Accompanying my mother on a visit to her aging schizophrenic sister who through sheer force of character has kept a roof over her head while battling that insidious disease alone for fifty years, and who one month ago fell in the tub and suffered from shock when it took several hours before someone could get into her locked apartment to help her.

And here is what I was not doing in Athens: Involving myself in any rioting or illegal activity of any sort. Let me be crystal clear, once again: I do not condone violence as a means to resolve anything. That said, I can certainly appreciate that element of spirit that makes the Greek protesters stand up and say no to rogue cops that shoot into crowds and kill defenseless fifteen year olds. There is a reason why no one has died in the recent riots, why Greek society has a much lower rate of violent crime than we do, and why no minor has been killed by a police officer in Greece in almost a quarter century.

There is also a reason why, here in Canada, nothing happens when a confused defenseless immigrant dies as a result of unnecessarily excessive force used by four trained police officers; or when the prime minister succeeds in shutting down parliament to hang on to power after an underhanded attempt to eviscerate the opposition that is so critical to the effectiveness of a highly functioning democracy.

The reason is this: We are rule-bound and complacent and we think that, this being Canada, we have systems that work if we just follow the rules.

Except that the rules aren't always right and systems don't always work.

When our government is hell-bent on supporting what amounts to a "crime against humanity" (not my words, those of UN officials before they were muzzled as a condition of receiving emergency food aid to combat the food crisis), and when it obfuscates all attempts to inject reason into official policy just because doing otherwise might cost them votes in agricultural ridings, then our system of governance is NOT working.

The reason I contacted you about this issue is that I was looking for every angle to accomplish what I have set out to do. It was my hope that your expertise in constitutional law and your social justice approach could uncover legal avenues to get an argument heard that I cannot think of or access on my own. I also thought that you would be well-placed to help me fight the system if it wasn't doing what it should.

But it is possible that the law, being part of that system, cannot help in this case. Perhaps Canadian law was actually designed to allow the government to put a whisteblower under surveillance when what he is saying threatens the established order of things, and that there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

If that is the case, just let me know. I do not care how much money I have to spend to get results, but I do care if it is not money well-spent. It would be great if the system, with all its laws, regulations, charters, procedures and precedents, can avert a perfectly predictable catastrophe from happening. But make no mistake that if it can't, I will find another way. And for all the damage it will cause to "the system", it will be non-violent.

Andrew, thanks for letting me ramble on a bit. I am taking the liberty of copying the PMO and the ethanol lobby (http://www.greenfuels.org/) - because their continued silence [in response to my advocating activities] actually amuses me and strengthens my resolve. I hope I have given you all a bit of insight into my motivation and character. The situation at Customs really did not sit well with me, and if there's one thing I cannot stand, it is hypocrites and liars.

In any case Andrew, thank you for your continued support. It is always valuable to have a good lawyer at one's disposal.

Regards,
George

1 comment:

GeorgeMitges said...

George Mitges and Associates Inc. have the right strategic guidance you need. George Mitges agri food industry consulting provides a wide-ranging expertise in agribusiness and personalized consulting service to the production agricultural community over 30 years…